- American Autowire - Highway 22 system and ground block kits
- ARP – Automotive Racing Products - Fasteners all over the truck
- Billet Specialties - Wheels, Valve covers, Drive system
- Bowler Performance Transmissions - Transmission support, clutch parts and great advice
- Classic Instruments - Custom gauge set
- Clayton Machine Works - Pedals
- Continental Tire - Performance tires
- Flaming River Industries - Steering column, u-joints and support bearings
- Greening Auto Company - Tail lights
- Griots Garage Inc. - Complete paint polishing, detailing and interior care products
- Holley Performance Products - Fuel management system
- KICKER - Powered subs under the seats
- Lokar Performance Products - Accelerator petal adaptor, E-brake cables
- Mac’s Custom Tie Downs - Ratcheting tie down straps for transporting all of our projects
- MagnaFlow - Mufflers
- Moore & Giles - Leather for interior
- PPG Industries Inc. - The foundation behind all of our custom colors, paint and body work
- RideTech - Level Pro system and Shock Wave units
- Shell Oil Company - Oil and lubricants
- Total Cost Involved Engineering Inc. - Chassis, 4-link
- Trick Flow Specialties - Cylinder heads
- Vintage Air - Gen IV A/C & Heat
- Watson’s StreetWorks - Polarity reversing relays for windows, touch-start system
- Wilwood Disc Brakes - 4-piston disc brakes all the way around
- Advanced Plating - Chrome plating of bumpers, moldings and a few other trinkets
- PAINTHOUSE - Builder, Body & Paint
- Stitch by Stitch Custom Designs - Interior fabrication and execution as well as audio system
Persistance was begun in 2005 as Cari & Michelle Shyiak's family project. Like so many of these projects, somewhere along the way it got out of control and has become what you see here. And, it only took 14 years to get to the finish line!
The project debuted at the PPG Refinish display at the 2019 Goodguys PPG Nationals (Columbus, OH). It next appeared at the Goodguys Lonestar Nationals (Ft. Worth, TX) and was honored to be chosen as one of their coveted Truck of the Year (early) picks. It will also make an appearance with Griot's Garage, featured in their first ever outdoor truck display, at the 2019 SEMA Show.
The foundation is a TCI chassis featuring Ride Tech Shockwave units and their Level Pro managment system. It rolls on a freshened-up, vintage set of Billet Specialties wheels (18x8 front & 20x10 rear) wrapped in Continental tires. The beast within this beauty is a GM Performance LSX454 utilizing a set of Trick Flow cylinder heads, a custom-ground camshaft and a very unique twin throttle body Carbon Fiber intake manifold. The “fire in the belly” is controlled by a Holley Dominator engine managment system and routed through a Legend 5-speed transmission that communicates its message to a 9” Ford differential with posi-traction.
A few of the custom touches include custom sheet metal surrounding the engine, with hidden fasteners; an electric tilt bed (more useful than I had ever anticipated); electric power brakes hidden under the dash; a hand-made rear bumper built by Sean Ornduff; bed wood crafted from 120+ year old Polynesian Teak wood and two PAINTHOUSE-created custom PPG colors - “Pearlot” on the top and “Randy Apple Red 2” on the bottom.
The stunning interior, along with multiple versions of the exterior, was rendered by the inimitable Eric Brockmeyer and executed flawlessly by Jan Van Kooten of Stitch-by-Stitch Designs. It features a unique, one-of steering wheel created by EVOD Industries, custom Classic Instruments gauges, Vintage Air Gen IV a/c and heat, audio featuring Kicker low-profile powered subs and a cutting edge Ride Controller system that uses an iPad (or iPhone/iWatch) to control all the functions, including starting, within the vehicle. Stitch-by-Stitch also made all of the chrome moldings you see within the interior and on the exterior. The moldings, handmade from brass courtesy of Stitch-by-Stitch, along with the bumpers and a few other items, were chromed expertly by pros at Advanced Plating.
In addition to the body work, paint work, paint polishing and assembly of the project, PAINTHOUSE handled all the wiring , incorporation of the Ride Controller system and even created a redundant, secondary wiring network with actual switches - just in case all that “iTechnology” fails to cooperate at any given time.
The dictionary defines the word persistence as “a firm or obstinate continuance in a course of action in spite of difficulty or opposition”. That definition perfectly fits the Shyiaks’ commitment to complete this family project, despite the hurdles that life threw at them along the way. The name of the truck is purposely re-spelled as “Persistance”, being that it is a tribute to not only the time, dedication and dollars it took to see this project to the finish line, but also the ground-hugging stance itself. We are honored to be showing it off with Griot’s Garage at the 2019 SEMA show and then she’s headed back to her home in Calgary, Canada.
Thanks for taking a few moments to check out Persistance. Despite taking over 14 years to build, it was finished just in the nick of time.
Randy / PAINTHOUSE