Merrodder made its debut in Las Vegas at SEMA in 1993 and graced the cover of HOT ROD magazine in December of that same year.
An all-star cast was assembled to build this astonishing vehicle Larry Erikson, famed customs/hot rod designer and later Cadillac factory designer, completed the design work for then-owner C.K. Spurlock.
Larry Kramer performed much of the build. The original ’49 Mercury body was sliced and diced to accommodate the enlarged dimensions of the independent C4 Corvette suspension it rests on.
The shocking yet beautiful, shortened, widened, and chopped look is accentuated by its lift-off hardtop and tilting front end.
The 510 cubic inch “bowtie” motor built by Donny Ray Everett has hemi-style heads that utilizes a 4 valves per cylinder setup allowing the full benefit of dual-port injection and exhaust.
A Meaney Brothers Big Stuff engine management system, dry-sump oil delivery and 180-degree headers finish out the package. The luxurious tan leather interior stitched by Larry Snead and Larry Bell takes second to no one.
Merrodder’s Turbo 400 transmission runs into two-yes, two-Gear Vendor overdrives which allows the car to work like a 5-speed automatic. Top speed? Potentially very, very fast.
1949 Mercury Coupe
Custom Tube Chassis
Custom Removable Hardtop
Bobbed Tail Section
Pancaked Hood and Rear Deck
One-Piece Tilting Front End
Builder: Donnie Ray Everett
Heads: Larry Ofria
510-cid, 32 Valve, BBC,
650 hp, 550 ft-lb
Thunder Power Hemi Heads
2000 FM Holley Dominator TB
Meaney Brothers Big Stuff
ARE Dry Sump, KSE Oil Pump
Doug Thorley Headers
Powermaster Starter & Alternator
Larry Sneed & Larry Bell
TEA’s Design Seats
B&M Turbo 400 Transmission
Dual Gear Vendor Overdrives
Fluidyne Transmission Cooler
C4 Corvette Differential
STEERING & SUSPENSION:
C4 Corvette Frame
with Adjustable Coilovers
Baer Brake Systems
WHEELS & TIRES:
Tires, g-Force Sport
- Armstrong Race Engineering (ARE) - Dry Sump
- B&M Racing & Performance Products - Turbo 400 Transmission
- Baer Brakes - Brakes
- BF Goodrich Tires - Tires, g-Force Sport
- Billet Specialties - Wheels
- Doug Thorley Headers - Headers
- Dynamat Inc. - Sound Deadening
- Fluidyne - Transmission Cooler
- GEAR VENDORS, INC. - Dual Overdrive
- Holley Performance Products - 2000 FM Dominator TB
- KSE Racing Products, Inc. - Oil Pump
- Powermaster Performance - Starter & Alternator
- Steele Rubber Products - Weather stripping
- TEA’s Design Inc. - Seats
- Thunder Valley RC - Hemi Heads
- Vintage Air - A/C